Western Kentucky University
Programs > Brochure
*WKU Faculty Led: Dance in Italy
Civitavecchia, Italy; Rome, Italy; Tolfa, Italy (Outgoing Program)
|Term||Year||App Deadline||Decision Date||Start Date||End Date|
|Summer||2016||04/01/2016 **||Rolling Admission||TBA||TBA|
** Indicates rolling admission application process. Applicants will be immediately notified of acceptance into this program and be able to complete post-decision materials prior to the term's application deadline.
|Number of Credits:||3||Field of Study:||DANCE|
|Program Catagory:||WKU Faculty Led||Faculty Leader:||Brown, Clifton|
DANCE IN ITALY
The WKU Dance Company is a performance group oriented to training dancers the skills of performance through a variety of repertory created by faculty and Italian guest artist. The pre-professional dance student will have the opportunity to develop practices and technique oriented toward a dance career in our global society.
In order to work with faculty and Italian guest choreographers, you must be enrolled in 2 dance technique classes in Spring 2015. This requirement assures you are training your body properly for rehearsals and performances.
Attendance is required to all rehearsals scheduled by your choreographer. Emergency medical or family circumstances will be excused with the appropriate documentation – however– you must contact your choreographer or Company Director prior to the assigned rehearsal. Students missing more than 2 rehearsals will be dismissed from the company
Each member will have an obligation to at least 2 hrs. of rehearsal time per week. Most company members will be in rehearsal for 6-8 hours per week. Company hours are M/W 3:45-6:00pm and T/TH 3:45-5:50. Additional rehearsals may be scheduled for guest artists and for concert technical preparation prior to a performance.
Each member is limited to a total of THREE works in which they are involved either as a dancer. You may be involved in more dances with the discretion of the Company Director.
There will be several lecture demonstrations at Italian schools and two performances at Theatro Claudio and Theatro Traiano in Civitavecchia, Italy.
There will be a day trip to Rome and Salerno in which the student will be responsible for the cost.
PERF 461: Dance in Italy
- Undergraduate students with permission of instructor(s).
- Current WKU student eligible to register for WKU courses may apply. Students from outside WKU may participate as visiting students.
- Students must be 18 years of age or older at time of departure (parent/guardian permission for anyone under 18 at time of departure).
- Students must possess passport valid for at least six (6) months after return date.
- Students must be free of active disciplinary sanctions as verified by Judicial Affairs.
- Students must complete all pre-departure orientations.
- Full payment prior to departure is required.
- Students must complete the Study Abroad & Global Learning application process prior to being registered in this course. We suggest you start this application process immediately and respond to all emails promptly.
Click on Program Details for the most up-to-date information: