Western Kentucky University
Programs > Brochure
*WKU Faculty Led: Ireland: Mystic Landscapes of the Emerald Island
Ballycastle, Ireland; Belfast, Ireland; Derry, Ireland; Doolin, Ireland; Dublin, Ireland; Galway, Ireland; Inis Mor, Ireland; Kilkenny, Ireland; Killarney, Ireland (Outgoing Program)
|Number of Credits:||3, 6||Field of Study:||GEOGRAPHY, GEOLOGY|
|Minimum GPA:||Good Academic Standing with WKU||Program Catagory:||WKU Faculty Led|
|Faculty Leader:||Dobler, Scott, Greunke, Erin, Nemon, Amy||Colonnade Credit:||Yes|
** This program is full for Summer 2017. If you are interested and would like to be placed on a waiting list, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org **
Students will be introduced to concepts in cultural geography through the exploration of supernatural landscapes that are interspersed within the Emerald Isle. Students will see first-hand how Ireland’s mixture of rich history and culture lend to fascinating cultural traditions within a geographic context. Topics and materials covered in this program will help students attain an appreciation of the complexity and variety of supernatural beliefs and practices in Ireland’s culture and geography through academic and sensory analysis.
Erin Greunke - email@example.com
Amy Nemon - firstname.lastname@example.org
Scott Dobler - email@example.com
Students can earn 3 or 6 hours in:
GEOG/GEOL 103 (3 credits): Our Dynamic Planet*
GEOG 378: Food, Culture, and Environment**
GEOG 481: Tourism Geography
GEOG 452 (3 credits): Geoscience Field Experience
* This class fits into Exploration Level of the Colonnade Program under category C Natural and Physical Sciences. This course fulfills the Category D Science general education requirement for students entered WKU in Spring 2014 or earlier.
** This class fits into Connections Level of the Colonnade Program under category B Local to Global.
Hotels and hostels
Permission of instructor(s) is required.
- Current WKU student eligible to register for WKU courses may apply. Students from outside WKU may participate as visiting students.
- Students must be 18 years of age or older at time of departure (parent/guardian permission for anyone under 18 at time of departure).
- Students must possess passport valid for at least six (6) months after return date.
- Students must be free of active disciplinary sanctions as verified by Judicial Affairs.
- Students must complete all pre-departure orientations.
- Full payment prior to departure is required.
- Students must complete the Study Abroad & Global Learning application process prior to being registered in this course. We suggest you start this application process immediately and respond to all emails promptly.