Skip to content

Western Kentucky University

Programs : Brochure
*WKU Faculty Led: United Kingdom- Media & Gender: London and the Edinburgh International Film Festivals
Edinburgh, United Kingdom; London, United Kingdom (Outgoing Program)
Program Terms:
Program Terms: Summer
Layout wrapper table for buttons
Layout table containing buttons
This program is currently not accepting applications.
Request Advising
Layout table containing buttons
Restrictions: WKU applicants only
Program Cost: Summer
Program Dates: - unrelated header
Program Dates:
There are currently no active application cycles for this program.
Fact Sheet: - unrelated header
Fact Sheet:
#i18n(14)# parameter/value output
Glossary entry for program parameter 10006
Number of Credits:
3, 6
Glossary entry for program parameter 10008
Credit Type:
WKU Credit
Glossary entry for program parameter 10013
Field of Study:
FILM STUDIES, GENDER AND WOMEN'S STUDIES, POP CULTURE STUDIES, WOMEN'S STUDIES
Glossary entry for program parameter 10004
Minimum GPA:
2.0
Program Catagory: WKU Faculty Led
Glossary entry for program parameter 10016
Faculty/Program Leader(s):
Hall, Dawn, Hovet, Ted
Colonnade Credit: Yes Class Eligibility: 1. Freshman, 2. Sophomore, 3. Junior, 4. Senior
Program Description:
Program Description:

Media & Gender: London and the Edinburgh International Film Festival


Join us in London and Edinburgh as we study gendered representations in the media and explore the production and distribution of film and television in an international context.  Tour London film studios, major media companies, and media museums.  Attend the Edinburgh International Film Festival and participate in classes with students from around the world. Colonnade connections course (social and cultural category).

Film 399 explores international film festivals with an emphasis on international cinema and professional opportunities. SUS 295, a Colonnade Connections course, will investigate contemporary Western popular culture using an interdisciplinary approach to explore how constructions of gender are reflected and shaped through media.

Students in both classes will study the history of world cinema and gender issues in world media (with an emphasis on the UK) in the online portion of the course that will be conducted over two weeks in advance of travel. During this online portion of the course, students will write journals and take a midterm on the reading and viewing assignments, completing 70% of the graded portion of the course. The remaining 30% will be a hands-on research project and discussion boards on their experiences while traveling, due upon return.

PROGRAM LEADERS


Dr. Dawn Hall (dawn.hall@wku.edu)
Dr. Ted Hovet (ted.hovet@wku.edu)

COURSES
Students may take 3 or 6 hours in the following:
  • FILM 399: Topics in Film (3 credits)
  • SUS 295: Popular Culture and Gender (3 credits)*
    • Colonnade Connections (Social and Cultural)
  • ENG 597: Graduate course (3 hours)

*Fulfills Colonnade Connections: Social & Cultural

LEARNING OBJECTIVES


FILM 399: Topics in Film
Upon completion of the course, students will be able to:
  • Students will be able to identify the film language (i.e. narration, lighting, camera angles, and acting) that characterizes films from different areas of the world
  • Students will be able to describe broad trends in world cinema including influential films and filmmakers
  • Students will articulate the role of world film in political and social change
  • Students will understand the history and importance of the EIFF for independent cinema from around the world
  • Students will engage and converse at EIFF with filmmakers, critics, and scholars of world film.
SUS 295: Popular Culture and Gender
Upon completion of the course, students will be able to:
  • describe the ways in which popular culture creates and perpetuates ideology around/about gender identities
  • analyze the effect on society and the individual of multiple popular cultural narratives, with an emphasis on comparing US and UK media
  • provide close textual readings of a range of texts to encourage understanding of the interconnections between Western popular culture and the global community
  • develop critical thinking skills through analysis and synthesis of cultural texts
Click on Program Details for the most up-to-date information:

Program Details Button


Layout wrapper table for buttons
Layout table containing buttons
 
This program is currently not accepting applications.